5. Fowls and Fungus: Using Unity

After setting my heart on creating my multiple choice narrative game with the Unity Engine, I knew I would have to learn how to use it fairly fast – this proved far simpler with the use of narrative plug ins such as Fungus.
Fungus is a free, open-source plugin developed for the cross-platform engine Unity that enables designers to create their own interactive storytelling projects which puts coding second to the narrative – perfect for new users such as myself. The plug in came with a range of examples of ways it could be used including some interesting visual novels that helped assist my vision when it came to creating from scratch. It is extremely visual in regards of it’s functions, including branching flowcharts to map out my story.

Fungus flowchart in Unity

At this point my story lines, choices and essential film footage are ready to be developed in the engine – immediately my game began coming together. Fungus makes dialogue and narrative not only easy to create but allows you to see how the flowchart is operating as the game runs

.

I added a selection of hidden characters and dialogue options for a more immersive experience and additional rewards for replaying certain scenes, including even being rescued from the slaughterhouse. It’s important that the game makes a clear point regarding the consequences of the egg industry but a “winning” route may encourage players to play more than once to explore different paths.

Third year media production student. I have a passion for documentary film making, game development and animal rights activism.