7. Eggs-ibitioning

The aim of my game has really been cemented as a way of creating transparency between the player and the products they purchase, but also as a unique form of animal rights outreach. Once the game has been played you can no longer accept ignorance of the cruel practices within the egg industry which in turn could ignite change within the individual and introduce them to a cruelty-free lifestyle, making this an exhibition piece that lasts much longer than the minutes spent playing.

Often people can be resistant to the truth behind their food, fully knowing that knowledge means taking responsibility. A challenge with exhibiting my game is getting people to play it who may not want to accept guilt or the emotional response it may provoke and therefore I will be using a challenge approach. This is inspired by an outreach event I saw shared online in which passersby are encouraged to get inside the cube for 3 minutes, without being told of what is going to happen. Inside, a 3-minute long video plays which consists of footage from the animal agriculture industry.
In this street demonstration, on a cloth surrounding a Sukkah frame is written: “Can you survive inside 3 minutes? The Cube Challenge”.
After exiting the Cube, whether it’s at the end of the video or beforehand, activists greet the people coming out and perform outreach about what they saw.

Taking this concept one step further I will be creating my own “cube” in the shape of an egg for participants to enter if they dare face the truth behind their breakfast. Using chicken wire and a sheet, an egg shape will be crafted and scaled to correspond to the space a laying chicken is given on a factory farm. The player will be able to enter the cramped egg to become immersed their new life as a chick in the egg industry as they face the screen in front of them. This will hopefully intrigue potential participants and takes it from a game to an interesting art installation that can be used at outreach events in the future.

Egg shape created by a hula hoop and chicken wire
Egg design with cover

A camera will be set up outside for players to give their initial feedback if they feel comfortable, where they will also be debriefed on what they have played, which is essential for any upsetting viewing. Participants will be offered a range of resources if they wish to learn more including egg replacements and information on other animal agriculture sectors.

I will be able to use this feedback in future developments and also understand how successful my project has been in regards of my initial aims and purpose.

Third year media production student. I have a passion for documentary film making, game development and animal rights activism.